The Individual Investor Programme of the Republic of Malta (IIP), by virtue of Legal Notice 47 of 2014, allows for the granting of citizenship by a certificate of naturalisation to individuals and their families who contribute to the economic and social development of Malta. Subject to a stringent vetting and diligence process, including thorough background checks, the applicants and their dependants are granted citizenship in exchange for such contribution.
To qualify for citizenship, the main applicant must be at least 18 years of age, provide proof of having been a resident of Malta for a period of 12 months preceding the issuing of a certificate of naturalisation and meet the following investment requirements:
- The acquisition of real estate with a minimum value of EUR 350,000 to be held for at least 5 years; or
- Lease a residential immovable property in Malta for a period of 5 years, at an annual rent of atleast EUR 16,000; and
- Make a contribution to the National Development and Social Fund
- An investment in stocks, bonds or special purpose vehicles to be identified by Identity Malta, for aminimum value of EUR 150,000 to be held for a minimum period of 5 years.
Immovable property cannot be let or sublet.
Applicants must have a Global Health Insurance coverage for at least EUR 50,000 for the main applicant and each of the dependants and must give proof that they can maintain the same for an indefinite period.
Principal Applicants can include in their IIP application:
- Spouse – in a monogamous marriage or in another relationship having the same or similar status to marriage.
- Dependants of 18 years of age and under.
- Dependants between the age of 18 and 26 years of age, who are not married and who are wholly supported by the main applicant and form part of the household.
- Dependants over the age of 55 years (e.g. parents), who are wholly supported by and who form part of the household of the main applicant.
The following contributions and fees shall be required as a minimum to qualify for citizenship
under the IIP:
- Principal applicant €650,000
- Spouse €25,000
- Each Dependant child aged 0-17 €25,000
- Each Dependant child aged 18-26 €50,000
- Each Dependant aged 55 or above €50,000
Due Diligence Fees
- Principal applicant €7,500
- Spouse €5,000
- Each Dependant child aged 13-17 €3,000
- Each Dependant child aged 18-26 €5,000
- Each Dependant aged 55 or above €5,000
- per person €500
- per application €200
Applications must be accompanied by supporting identification and verification documents authenticated in English, as set out in the Checklist and Guidelines, together with;
- Police conduct certificates
- Proof that the main applicant has been a resident of Malta for a period of 12 months preceding naturalisation
- Medical certificates stating that the applicant and his dependants are not suffering from contagious diseases and are in good health
- An affidavit of support for each dependant who is over 18 years of age.
All applicants aged 18 years and over are obliged to attend in person in Malta to undertake the Oath of Allegiance.
The process takes between 6 to 24 months and currently the programme is capped at 1,800 main